We are in a war battling for men’s eternal souls!
We see this battle for the souls of men after Paul’s defense that he gives before King Agrippa in Acts chapter 26:
“King Agrippa, believest thou the prophets? I know that thou believest.
“Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.
“And Paul said, I would to God, that not only thou, but also all that hear me this day, were both almost, and altogether such as I am, except these bonds.” Acts 26:27-29
Throughout history, God has always had “a witness” – Those who openly testify and confess the one true God! Jesus Christ, in the Gospels, commissioned the church to carry on as God’s witness to this world.
“Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
“Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.” Matthew 28:19-20
The purpose of South Charlotte Baptist is to fulfill the Great Commission!
“But as many as received him [Jesus Christ], to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:” John 1:12
“But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me…” Acts 1:8
If you have received Jesus Christ then you have become a child of God and have received the gift of eternal life. If you have received Jesus Christ, then you have also been given the Holy Spirit. He is the power dwelling within you that enables you to be a witness. Therefore, you are already prepared to be a witness! Being a witness is simply telling others what Jesus Christ has done for you!
We may not all participate in some of the service oriented ministries of South Charlotte Baptist Church (ushering, choir, SCBA teacher) but we have all been commanded to participate in the Great Commission. Each of us must determine that we are going to participate in the outreach of South Charlotte Baptist Church seeking to fulfill the Great Commission.
The following are specific activities that you can participate in to help South Charlotte Baptist Church fulfill its purpose.
- “To Every Creature” – Our “Jerusalem” has been divided up into section that, on Monday nights and Saturday mornings, we will seek to go “door to door” inviting families to SCBC & some of our specific events/services. At the very least we want to leave, at each door, an invitation to attend SCBC, a Gospel tract, and a friendly smile!
- “Guest Follow-Up” – When an individual visits SCBC there are several ways in which we will seek to connect with them. We need individuals who will reach out to our guest in the following ways:
- Email – Within 24 hours of their visit, we will send them an email “Thank you” along with an invitation to visit again.
- Personal Note – Within 36 hours we will send them a hand written “Thank you” along with an invitation to visit again.
- Personal Phone Call – Within 3 days we will call them to thank them for visiting and then to personally invite them to a Sunday school class the following week or to invite them to an upcoming activity.
- Personal Visit – Within a week someone will attempt to make a personal visit to the home of the visitor. The intent of this visit is not simply to thank them for visiting but to also ascertain their spiritual condition and possibly be able to share the Gospel with them.
- “Sunday School Support” – Each guest will be placed on a Sunday school roll. Individuals are needed to call (each Saturday) all the individuals on the Sunday school rolls to encourage them to be in Sunday school the following day. This would enable us to also be an encouragement to the individuals who have “slipped” out of church.
- Academy Families – Right now we need individuals/families who will take a small gift to each of the families in South Charlotte Baptist Academy who are not members or regular attenders of South Charlotte Baptist Church.
- Other “activities,” at different times during the year will be designed to help us get the Gospel out into our community!
At this point, it’s not a matter of “Well, I just didn’t know how we as a church are seeking to fulfill the Great Commission.” Now it’s a matter of “How are you going to participate?!”